Speak up against potential legislative changes that will cripple NL’s offshore oil and gas industry.

Act Now

The deadline for your feedback is August 28, 2017

Take Action to Support Newfoundland and Labrador’s Offshore Oil and Gas Industry.

The Issue

On June 30, 2017, the Government of Canada released a discussion paper detailing possible changes to the country's environmental assessment and regulatory processes.

The development of our offshore oil and gas resources is already a lengthy and onerous process. Some of the changes proposed in this document will make it even more difficult without improving environmental oversight.

If you support the timely development of our resources, send an email now to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Natural Resources Minister James Carr, Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna, and MPs from NL and NS.

How Are These Proposed Changes Dangerous to NL's Offshore?

Far-reaching negative impact on offshore exploration and development

Such impacts include deterring investment, delaying development, increasing uncertainty and adding a layer of duplication to the already robust process without improving environmental oversight.

The ability to manage our own resources under the Atlantic Accord is threatened.

The discussion paper suggests that Federal Minister(s) or Cabinet will decide on whether a project is in the public interest. Under the Atlantic Accord, that decision rests with the NL Natural Resources minister if all regulatory issues are addressed. We strongly support maintaining the authority of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador in making these decisions. The Atlantic Accord gave Newfoundland and Labrador equality with the federal government in the management of our resources and we firmly believe this principle should be upheld.

A significant negative impact on the provincial economy.

The offshore industry provides employment opportunities and royalties and income tax revenue for governments. This in turn benefits every resident of the province as it funds infrastructure, roads, schools, hospitals, social programs and the establishment of other industries.

Newfoundland and Labrador will be less able to compete globally.

In a time when global exploration spending has been reduced by 75%, Newfoundland and Labrador is competing for the remaining 25% - competing against jurisdictions that can offer the clarity and certainty required for investment decisions of this magnitude.

Why Now?

The Government has allowed 60 days for feedback. The deadline is August 28th 2017.

How Can You Help?

It’s easy. If you want to:
  • Benefit from the offshore oil & gas industry through jobs, infrastructure, roads, schools, hospitals, social programs and;
  • Protect the rights guaranteed to Newfoundland and Labrador under the Atlantic Accord

Take Action